Recipe by Francis Quinn
These biscuits are the Glitch’s whiskers!
For the biscuits:
- 125g slightly salted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 200g plain flour
- 50g cocoa powder
For the decoration:
- milk or dark chocolate, melted
- chocolate sprinkles
- wooden coffee stirrer sticks
mETHOD (Makes 25)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan), gas mark 4.
- Line two flat baking trays with non-stick parchment.
- Cream together the butter and sugar, then gradually beat in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Sift and stir in the flour and cocoa powder and mix to a fairly soft dough.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead gently. Cover or wrap the dough in cling film and chill for at least 30-60 minutes.
- When ready, roll the dough out on a lightly floured surface to around the thickness of 0.5cm.
- Cut into moustaches using either the cut out template or appropriate shaped cutter.
- Carefully transfer the biscuits to the lined baking sheets using a spatula and carefully poke a coffee stirrer stick up into the bottom of each biscuit. Repeat with the remaining dough, and re-roll the trimmings to make more biscuits. Note: you may need to use more trays or bake the biscuits in batches due to the coffee stirrer sticks taking up room on the trays.
- Bake the biscuits for approximately 10-12 minutes. Leave the biscuits to firm up on their trays before transferring to a wire rack to cool.
- If adding an extra chocolate flourish to your moustaches, apply the melted chocolate to the front of each biscuit using a paintbrush and sprinkle with chocolate strands for even more chocolate taste and texture.
- Leave to set before enjoying with a selfie!