Recipe by April Carter
For the cake layers:
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 300g caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 300g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 120ml milk
- gel or paste food colourings in red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple
For the buttercream:
- 375g unsalted butter
- 750g icing sugar
- 5 tablespoons double cream
- purple food colouring
For the decoration:
- ice cream cone
- small amount of fondant in white, light brown, purple, dark pink and black cocktail sticks
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and grease two 15cm cake tins. Whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add the vanilla and milk, continuing to beat, and then add the remaining flour mixture beating until just combined. Divide the cake mix between 6 bowls and stir in the red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple food colouring so that each bowl is a different colour. Working in batches, bake each layer individually for 15 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the buttercream. Beat the butter, icing sugar and cream until pale and creamy. Colour 350g of the buttercream purple and transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle for Ubercorn’s mane. Set aside a small amount of white buttercream for attaching Ubercorn’s features later on.
- Once the cake layers are completely cool, level each cake and fix the purple layer to a 15cm cake board with a small amount of buttercream. Add the remaining layers (blue, green, yellow, orange and then red) with a thin layer of the buttercream between each one. Ice the outside of the cake with a thin layer of buttercream and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes before icing all over with the remaining buttercream.
- To make Ubercorn’s horn, trim the wide end off of the ice cream cone and spread with a thin layer of buttercream. Roll out the light brown fondant into a flat sausage shape and spiral around the cone. Push into the centre of the cake.
- Make Ubercorn’s ears by rolling out some white fondant and cutting out the ear shapes using the photo as a guide. Push cocktail sticks into the bottom of each one. Use the remaining white fondant to cut out the central mask shape. Roll out the purple fondant and cut out the centre of the ears, the outline of Ubercorn’s mask, and two nostrils. Roll out the dark pink fondant and cut out Ubercorn’s mask straps and mouth. Make Ubercorn’s eyes and eyebrows using the black fondant. Dampen the back of the purple ear shapes and stick to the white ears. Stick the eyes, eyebrows and white mask shape onto the purple mask outline in the same way. Press the ears into the top of the cake.
- Add Ubercorn’s features to the iced cake with a small amount of buttercream and finish by piping on the mane with swirls of the purple buttercream.