Go Jetters Glitch Celebration Cake
Recipe by April Carter
Get baking with this great Glitch party cake!
For the cake:
- 350g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 2½ teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 270ml vegetable oil
- 240g caster sugar
- 240g soft light brown sugar
- 4 medium eggs
- 300g coarsely grated carrot (approximately 6 large carrots)
For the cream cheese icing:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 75g cream cheese, chilled
For the decoration:
- 1kg light grey fondant
- 100g copper orange fondant
- 100g brown fondant
- 100g pale orange fondant
- 100g brown fondant
- small amount of black and red fondant
- small amount of icing sugar for rolling out
- 2 ice cream cones
- 4 mini marshmallows
- silver lustre dust
- 20cm round cake board
- 35cm round cake board (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and grease and line two 20cm round cake tins.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and cinnamon and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk the oil, sugars and eggs until pale. Add the flour mixture to the oil mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the carrot and mix until just combined.
- Divide between the prepared tins and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cakes comes out clean. Set aside to cool completely.
- To make the cream cheese icing, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and icing sugar until pale and creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat until just combined.
- Once the cakes have cooled, level each cake and sandwich together with a thin layer of cream cheese icing. Set some of the cream cheese icing to one side for decorating Glitch’s ear funnels and attaching his features.
- Fix the cake to the 20cm board with a small amount of cream cheese icing, cover the whole cake with a thin layer of the remaining icing and chill in the fridge until firm.
- To decorate, roll out the grey fondant onto a work surface dusted with icing sugar to a 5mm thickness and cover the cake, smoothing down the sides, trimming and tucking under the sponge.
- Cover the ice cream cones with a thin layer of cream cheese icing and cover with two rectangles of the remaining grey fondant. Trim to fit and hide the seams at the back.
- Roll out the copper orange coloured fondant and cut out two strips and two circles to cover the ends of Glitch’s ear funnels and two more strips for his helmet detail.
- Roll out the pale orange fondant and cut out a shape for Glitch’s face.
- Roll out a small amount of red fondant for the inside of his mouth and fix these to the cake with a small amount of cream cheese icing.
- Roll and flatten two black circles for his eyes, use the brown fondant to roll out and cut shapes for his eyebrows, moustache and rivets and fix everything to the cake with a small amount of cream cheese icing.
- Make Glitch’s teeth by cutting each mini marshmallow into 4 and fixing these to the red mouth shape.
- Arrange Glitch’s ear funnels to sit on either side of his head and fix them to a cake stand or 35cm cake board with a small amount of cream cheese icing. Brush the grey fondant with silver lustre dust for a metallic look.
Note: The fondant decoration can be made up to a week in advance and the cakes can be baked the day before decoration.