Recipe by April Carter
Get creative with these great Grimbot cupcakes!
For the cupcakes:
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 3 medium eggs
- 250g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For the buttercream:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 250g icing sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
For the decoration:
- 1kg light grey fondant
- 250g yellow fondant
- small amount of fondant in grey, orange, red and black
mETHOD (Makes 12)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cupcake cases. Whisk together the flour and baking powder and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Add half of the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add the vanilla and milk, continuing to beat, and then add the remaining flour mixture beating until just combined.
- Spoon into the lined muffin tin until each case is two thirds full and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into one of the cakes comes out clean.
- To make the buttercream, beat the butter, icing sugar and milk until pale and creamy. Spread onto the cooled cakes.
- For the decoration, roll out the yellow fondant, cut out 12 circles and cover each cupcake. For the grimbots, roll out the grey fondant and cut out 12 smaller grey circles for their bodies and helmets, 12 rectangles for their faces and 12 pairs of circles for their eye holes. Cut each grey circle in half. Attach the grey pieces to the cakes using a small amount of water and the photo as a guide. Roll out the orange fondant and cut out 12 circles. Use the edges of these to add the detail to the bodies and helmets. Finish off the grimbots by cutting out and sticking on black eyes and eyebrows and red, orange and yellow buttons.