Go Jetters Ubercorn Christmas Biscuits
Recipe by April Carter
Be a festive foodie with these fabulous Christmas Cookies!
For the biscuits:
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g caster sugar
- 1 medium egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g plain flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
For the decoration:
- 500g instant royal icing
- purple, pink and yellow food colouring
- small amount of black fondant
- edible glitter
- twine or ribbon for hanging
- Whisk together the flour and baking powder and set aside. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat again. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix into a soft dough. Wrap in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Make a 12cm tall Ubercorn template to cut around. Preheat the oven to 180°C / 160°C fan / gas mark 4 and line two baking trays with baking parchment.
- Roll out the dough to 5mm thick, cut out the Ubercorn shapes and transfer to the lined baking trays. Make a hole in the top of each cookie using a skewer. Bake for 10 minutes or until firm but still pale in the centre. Set aside to cool.
- Follow the packet instructions to make up the royal icing and add extra water one tablespoon at a time until smooth enough to pipe with. Keep the icing covered while not in use. Transfer half of the icing to a piping bag and snip a small amount off of the end. Pipe the outline of Ubercorn’s face onto each cookie. Thin out the remaining white icing from the bag and use a teaspoon to fill each outline. Set aside to dry for 2 hours.
- Divide the remaining icing between 4 bowls and colour each one purple, pale purple, pink and pale yellow.
- Pipe Ubercorn’s mane in purple, thin out the remaining purple icing and fill the outlines as before. Pipe Ubercorn’s ears, mask and nostrils in pale purple, horn in pale yellow and mask strap and mouth in pink. Sprinkle the cookies with edible glitter. Use the black fondant to make his eyes and eyebrows and fix these onto the cookies with a small amount of spare icing.
Once the cookies are completely dry, thread with twine or ribbon.